Tweets by @Archaeology_ws
Hoard of 70,000 Iron Age Coins found on Jersey in the english channel islands
When metal detectorists Reg Mead and Richard Miles found Iron Age coins under a Jersey field, they promptly reported their find to Jersey Heritage who excavated to reveal a massive hoard of coins dating to around 56BC. The hoard is still largely in one piece and is being excavated under laboratory conditions by Neil Mahrer. More..
18th Century shipwreck under the world trade center, new york
Archaeologists have now analysed the date and structure of the timbers of the 18th century shipwreck found under the ruins of New York's World Trade Center.
World Archaeology News on BBC Radio 5 Live
The latest archaeological news stories are brought to you every week on BBC Radio Five Live with award-winning archaeological correspondent, Win Scutt.
To find out more on this week's stories, follow the links on the right.
You can listen to Win's broadcast:
- in the UK at 03.35 (UK Time) on Five Live's "Up All Night" programme every Tuesday morning on 909 or 693 AM,
- or on digital in the UK on Channel 0105
- or on the frequency of your BBC Local Radio station - all these local stations switch to Five Live between 01.00 and 05.00 every morning.
- or online from anywhere in the world at 03.30 UK time. Click Here.
- Or you can listen to Win's last Tuesday broadcast for up to 7 days through BBC iPlayer. Click Here and select Tuesday's Up All Night programme, then advance to 3.30am.
Listen online to Win Scutt's latest Five Live broadcast on BBC iPlayer by clicking here. Select Tuesday's "Up All Night".
Top archaeology news sites
There are many websites with the latest world archaeological news. Here are Win Scutt's top recommendations:
- Archaeologica Hand-picked links to each day's top stories. Usually about six per day.
- Archaeology Magazine Updated every weekday, a summary with links to about six news stories.
- BBC Latest Archaeology News Selected top stories - about one per day
- National Geographic Ancient World News Brief summaries linked to full stories written by National Geographic reporters. About one story per day.
- Discovery Channel Brief summaries linked to pages, about one story per day.
- Stone Pages Archaeo News
- EurekAlert Public Releases of latest research. About 2 per week.
- Science Daily Brief summaries and links to full stories by Science Daily reporters. Mixed with Palaeontology stories. One per day.
- Archaeology News Automatic News Feed
- Explorator Links to David Meadow's weekly newsletters, each containing about 50 links to the week's stories.
- Archaeology in Europe Regularly updated with summaries and links. About 20 stories per week, but only Europe.
- Google Archaeology News. Search results for the last week. Automatically listed, so much irrelevant material.
- Yahoo Anthropology and Archaeology Automatic news feed with some irrelevant content.
- Topix Archaeology News A mixed collection of news stories